The Environment Working Group aims to monitor and seek to improve the condition of the footpaths, hedges and drainage ditches in the Parish. It reports regularly on issues to the Ashton Keynes Parish Council.
The members of the working group are
- Barry Ellison
- Andrew Levens
- - Councillor
- - Councillor
Its primary aims are:
- Ensuring that the footpaths within the Parish Boundary are kept free of obstruction.
- Ensuring that the stiles and signposts are properly maintained.
- Liaison with landowners and/or the local authority in respect of the above.
- Liaison with the local authority in respect of proposed footpath diversions.
- The publication of amendments to the Ashton Keynes Footpaths guide.
- The maintaining the boundary markers and drainage facilities in the village.
- To ensure a well maintained drainage system to assist in the free flow of water through the village.
In order to discharge these responsibilities we keep an inventory of each footpath within the parish which records issues that require attention. The footpaths are all walked at least once a year to ensure that our information is as up-to-date as possible, and parishioners are encouraged to report any problems that they encounter in the interim. The inventories are reviewed at each meeting and progress reported. Small jobs are undertaken by Committee members themselves, but larger ones often require assistance from the local authority, particularly in the provision of items such as signposts. We have developed good working relationships with the County Council’s specialist staff, who attend our meetings as required. Other issues are brought to our notice by the Parish Clerk on behalf of the Parish Council.